Wiki Loves Monuments is an international photo contest about cultural heritage monuments, which is open to everybody and is organized by the local chapters of Wikimedia and volunteer groups from different countries, supporting Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, among many other projects.
Cultural Heritage is an important part of the knowledge gathered and spread by Wikipedia. Everyone can contribute, both with images and articles. An image is worth a thousand words, in all languages.
Everyone is invited to upload images of monuments under a free license for use in the different Wikipedias. The idea of this project is to get a global and unique vision of the cultural heritage of each country.
Joining Wiki Loves Monuments contest you contribute to improve the contents of Wikipedia!
The basic rules for this contest are as follows:
- Photograph monuments, which can be done at any moment.
- Publish the photograph under a free license.
- Upload it to Wikimedia Commons between the 1st and 30th September.
The photographs must have been taken by the participants and must have been loaded by themselves.
- The monument identifier must be provided with the photographs.
There is no limit of the number of images that you can upload. What are you waiting for to go out and take photos?
History of the contest
Wiki Loves Monuments contest was organized for the first time in 2010 in the Netherlands. In 2011 it took place in 18 European countries, achieving 169,348 photographs.
Every year we hope to beat the participation in the former edition, both, in terms of participating countries and in terms of number of uploaded pictures. The contest is composed of 2 different phases, the first one takes place within Ukraine with an Ukrainian jury and with corresponding prizes; in the second phase, of international scope, participate the best 10 photographs of each national contest with an international jury that will select the best pictures of monument of the year worldwide and with additional prizes.
Don’t forget to participate!
- Register: You will need a Wikimedia Commons account with a valid email address.
- Search: Check the lists to locate nearby monuments and write down their ID number.
- Take a pic: Only the pictures taken by you will be admitted.
- Share: Upload the pictures during the month of September.